9.09.2008

Listening...

You ever get that feeling like God is trying to tell you something? Somehow through all your conversations and interactions you are being sent a message? You feel like God is tapping you on the shoulder and saying "you seem to have gotten a little off track with my plan - if you could follow me, that would be great."

Ever feel like God's path doesn't quite align with your desires?

I picture a very friendly looking park ranger who ever so gently points you in the right direction when you get too far off the beaten path, and too close to danger. You know - like you're hiking in some remote location and you decide to wander on a little side excursion - but you get just a little too close to the bear mating area and so the park ranger kindly reminds you that you need to return to a more tourist friendly area.
But pretend with me for a second that you are a bear photographer, and you want to get closer to the mating bears. Only you don't realize that the park ranger has webcams all throughout the park and can see your every move. You start heading toward the bears to capture some pictures for national geographic - even though the park ranger told you not to.

Is it right for that park ranger to pull out his revolver and threaten you to return back to the path or face arrest, or should he let you go take pictures of the bears and get maulled?

Fortunately God doesn't carry a revolver right?

All silly anecdotes aside, sometimes it hurts when God re-aligns us with his plan. Sometimes our own agenda's don't get played out the way we thought in our heads. Its hard to trust that God's plan is ultimately best for us - especially when life doesn't really seem that bad. Truth is - God's got the 40,000 foot view of our lives and we don't. We may be able to accurately forecast our lives a day or two, or maybe if we're really good, a month in advance - but there is no way that we know what is going to happen years down the road like God does.

My prayer for when I feel like I am being re-aligned...

Lord, help me to realize your plan for my life. Show me very clear signs for the direction that you want me to go - and help me to realize whether those signs are from you or not. Forgive me for straying off your path for my life, and excuse my stubbornness when it comes time to get back on your path. Hold my hand, and walk with me Lord.

No comments: